September 15, 2011

following the leader...

I am not prone to lead. People tell me that I'm a natural leader, but personally I'd rather just let someone else be in charge. It's so much easier and causes less stress to be told what to do, rather than being the one to do the telling.

However, I am not to sit back and be told what to do this semester. This semester I have been given the assignment to be the section leader for the sopranos in choir. In some ways I wasn't really surprised; last week I had made a comment to the section about a line of music that the majority of us weren't getting, and as soon as the line was fixed I just had a feeling that I'd be on the list for potential section leader. So when Teddy talked to me about it, it wasn't a major shock.

This is going to be a little bit interesting. There are some girls who are quite eager to do my job for me. I guess that makes my life a little easier, but at the same time it's frustrating. I want to do the best job I can do, and it's hard when other people are competing to do it as well. It'll work out though. Today was quite a bit better. I had to step up and speak out right away, instead of waiting like I usually do.

The best part of this is that I get to know the girls in my section. A scary part of this is that because I want the music to sound good and I want us to work together, I'm afraid that I'll come across as bossy or arrogant or annoying. I want the girls to like me, and I want them to know that I'm their friend. Balance. Gotta find the balance.

Section leader. Me, who knows less than half a drop in a gallon bucket about music. How funny. I'm kind of excited.

1 comment:

  1. You know what I love about being a worry-wart? It means you're always careful and conscious of people. In other words, I know you won't end up being bossy, but you'll be just bold enough, because you're worried about it. Congrats! You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete

Got any wizardly comments? Feel free to spew them here!